/// the YEFE NOF RESIDENCY /////
HOW TO PREPARE AND SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
Please make sure you address all questions and sections and proofread all materials before submission. A poorly prepared application will cause reviewers to have reservations about recommending an applicant even if they believe the project has great potential. Please make sure your application is as polished as possible and remember that each part of the application should build support for your candidacy. Please do not submit additional material beyond what is requested; it will not be reviewed.
Nominated/Applications must be original and may not infringe on the rights of a third party. Work failing these requirements will be excluded from YNR.
you have difficulty accessing or submitting an application via Submittable,
please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE Application forms are available at the start of each competition round, January 1. The application process must be completed online through Submittable no later than April 30 for all Residencies (with finalists notified by June 1 and interviews to follow) except for the California Writing Residency which must be completed online through Submittable no later than February 28.
ELIGIBILITY Residencies are intended as opportunities for writers, researchers, and designers to complete final stage work on projects in development. Proposals for self-directed residencies must be compatible with the ongoing dialogue at YNR. Merit and promise are the basis for selections. Unknown authors, mature or emerging, are encouraged to apply. Writers, researchers and designers over 25 residing in the United States, US citizens abroad, and those living internationally with pre-approved visas are eligible. Five residencies are awarded each cycle, including the California Writing Residency which is awarded to three California authors who are over 18 at the time of submission.
DURATION OF RESIDENCY All residencies start the 1st of the month and end six weeks later, with the exception of the California Writing Residency which is made up of three two-week sessions.
TECHNICAL/LEGAL STATEMENTS For all residencies except the California Writing Residency see The Application section of yefenof.com. For the California Writing Residency please read here. All residents will be asked to sign a standard residency contract to cover the house.
AWARDS A rotating committee
of experts and professionals in the arts and humanities independently review
applications and supporting materials. Final awards of residencies are at the
discretion of YNR. In some instances, writers, researchers, and designers are
invited to participate without submitting an application.
for children and family members are provided, but the resident is expected to
use the two to six weeks for working alone without any hindrances.
who are writers, researchers, and designers may apply individually with the
understanding that one partner may be accepted and the other may not.
may be accepted for a residency, however, they need to submit separate
applications along with a joint proposal.
are allowed at Yefe Nof only if they remain outside at all times. There is a
corral and igloo home for two medium-sized dogs and plenty of ground to cover
on walks. Dogs are not allowed in the house. No other pets are allowed.
for visitors are available at many local hotels, motels and lodges.
applicants may reapply for a residency by submitting a new application with new
work. Previous residents may not reapply unless it is by nomination or
LOCATION The Yefe Nof
Residency is located in the San Bernardino Mountains, eighty miles (130km) east
of Los Angeles. Set in the cozy Crest Park neighborhood, minutes away from Blue
Jay and Lake Arrowhead, the original cabin was redesigned into a house that
takes full advantage of the alpine backdrop in a unique California combination
of seasonal light and sky.
FACILITIES Residencies offer the space conducive to focused, goal-oriented
work. Residents are at liberty to structure their own time and activity. Each
is offered full-use of the living accommodations and work-space with a full
range of modern conveniences. Residents need to bring their own writing
materials and laptops. Areas inside and outside are expected to be
maintained by the resident during their stay.
SUPPORT At present, no stipend is awarded to residents. Residents are
responsible for their own transportation, personal living expenses, food and beverage, some supplies,
telephone charges and any expenses related to the production of work during the
residency. Travel and shipping expenses to and from the Yefe Nof Residency
program are also the responsibility of the resident. There is no home mail
delivery services so arrangements should be made in advance to send through the
Lake Arrowhead USPS.
CANCELLATION If a resident cancels a residency reservation more than thirty days before the residency start date they forfeit the $250 registration deposit. Cancellation less than thirty days before the residency start date means the resident forfeits the registration deposit and is assessed a withdrawal fee of $250 for the place they reserved.
PRIVACY All application materials and work samples are confidential and retained for use of the Yefe Nof Residency only.
- All applications must be in English.
- Entrants must be individuals and not a company or organization.
- Entrants must submit their work using their real name.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age at the time of submission.
- Entrants must pay the application fee in order to be eligible.
- Only applications received and paid for by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) February 28th will be considered.
- Applications that are not paid for, incomplete, are corrupted or submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- The identity of all entrants is withheld throughout the process.
- To ensure the quality and diversity of the selections, each submission is considered by several judges.
- Finalists will be notified by email when they have been selected.
- Unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted.
- No editorial feedback or notes will be provided.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the judging process.
- The residency is not open to employees of Yefe Nof or 1888 or members of the judging panel. Family members of any of the aforementioned are also not eligible.
- Only submissions which meet all Terms and Conditions will be considered.
- By entering this competition, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and the rules and regulations of the Yefe Nof Residency.
- The Submittable form allows you to save and edit information. You do not need to finish your online application in one session. You will be able to save the form and return to it at a later date to revise, edit and add information. Your California Writing Residency application will not be complete until you hit the submit button. Once submitted, you will receive an email confirming that we have received your application.
- All applications must be in English.
- Requirements and selection criteria are the same for each residency. There is no quota on how many writers, researchers, or designers are taken for any given residency cycle, but there are only five residency sessions per cycle.
- We do not accept incomplete applications.
- All written work samples, and materials must be submitted in the Submittable form. Web links to articles or other work samples will not be accepted, with the exception for visual artists, composers, filmmakers, and in certain cases, designers. You may contact us to discuss alternate ways of submitting materials, if necessary.
- The Submittable form allows you to save and edit information. You do not need to finish your online application in one session. You will be able to save the form and return to it at a later date to revise, edit and add information. Your YNR application will not be complete until you hit the submit button. Once submitted, you will receive an email confirming that we have received your application.